Recycling Myself

Welcome to the most exciting time in my life. So far.

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Why We Don't Have Kids Yet - My Messy Beautiful Story

This essay and I are part of the Messy, Beautiful Warrior Project — To learn more and join us, CLICK HERE! And to learn about the New York Times Bestselling Memoir Carry On Warrior: The Power of Embracing Your Messy, Beautiful Life, just released in paperback, CLICK HERE!


One of my first interactions with a southerner after I moved to Louisiana was when a woman said to me, “So, what’s your story?  Do you have kids?”  I was 23 and thought the question was absurd.  Kids at 23?  Of course not, crazy lady. 

I met my husband 2 years later.  We both want kids.  We’re both the kind of people who have always wanted kids.  He’s the guy who’s wanted to be a dad for his entire life.  And I’m pretty sure he’s going to be awesome at it (He’s, at least, really good at corny, dad jokes).  When we were first married I was only 25 and thought I was way too young for kids.  And I really wasn’t ready for it, regardless of my age.  I was suddenly legally bound to this guy I’d known for about a year and living in Oklahoma (a place that I was fairly certain was made up, until I actually got here).  For a long time I truly was not ready for babies.  I was figuring out what it was like to be a wife, to create a life with this other person and not alongside him, like it had been when we first dated.

Now we’ve been married for 2 years.  I’m 28 and my husband is 30.  We’re ready for babies.  Most of the people we spend time with have kids.  My husband teaches elementary school.  I babysit and work in a day care on an as-needed basis.  We know it’s hard to have a life with a baby.  We’ve seen the exhaustion and frustration in our friends.  We can see beyond the excitement and joy of having a baby.  And we’re still ready.

But, we’re not trying to have babies right now.  Even though we’re both emotionally prepared for parenthood (as prepared as one can be), our life is not in the place it needs to be for us to have a baby.  I’m in school right now.  And, since neither of us are independently wealthy, we’re working very hard to make school a reality without adding to our already high amount of debt.  I can’t work full time while I’m in school.  So, I have a virtual assistant job that I love, and I pretty much jump at any other chance to make even a little bit of money.  Every extra dollar not accounted for in our budget goes towards nursing school.  My husband works very hard during the school year as a teacher, and works summers as a camp counselor.  While we may be ready for kids, our life is not ready for kids.

This makes life painful and challenging.  The beauty of life without kids is not lost on us.  On Saturdays we stay in bed all morning talking, watching tv, and eating donuts.  We know we couldn’t do that if we had kids.  We spend our evenings relaxing and unwinding from the day, instead of feeding and bathing and putting a child to sleep.  We never need to tiptoe around our house at naptime.  Diapers are not a part of our daily life.  Crying and tantrums are not a part of our daily life (well, with the exception of mine...).  We can leave town for the weekend without too much rearranging of our lives.  We can go out with our friends until late without having to pay someone to stay in our house.  And we appreciate getting close to, if not more than, 8 hours of sleep a night.  We certainly do not need a reminder of how we’re lucky we don’t have kids yet.  We get it.

And yet, life is messy when you're wanting kids and not having them.  When we first got married we would dream about the day we’d have kids.  We talked about baby names, we talked about how we would announce the good news to everyone, we made jokes about how our kids would get the worst combination of my red hair and his dark skin.  We don’t do that as much now.  Because, it kind of hurts.  There are days when I panic that after all this waiting, I won’t be able to get pregnant for some reason.  When I see people announce their pregnancies on Facebook, I’m excited, and then immediately a little sad.  After being very close to both my sister and my sister-in-law as they navigated the first couple of years of parenthood, I’m pretty sure of which parenting books I’ll read, how we’ll introduce food to our baby, the challenges of breastfeeding, how I’m going to prefer to cloth diaper (and the best ways to do it), different naptime methods, what developmental stages our baby will go through and when those will happen.  I know what wonder weeks are, I know good techniques for soothing a teething baby, I know when to call the doctor and when to ride it out.  I know we’re not going to find out the sex of our baby until they’re born.  I know that whether our first baby is a boy or a girl, they will have a family name.  And, writing all of these things down is making me feel an ache in my heart knowing that we have at least 2 years before we can realistically start thinking about these things.

I know that if having a baby was more important to me than being a nurse, we could have one right now.  But, I also know that if I don’t become a nurse, there’s really not much I can do to allow me as many of the financial and health (insurance-wise) benefits of being a nurse.  And, I don’t want to sacrifice one dream for the other.  At the risk of sounding selfish, I want it all.

It sucks that we started our marriage with a lot of debt.  It sucks that it took several years for me to figure out that nursing was where my passion lies.  It sucks that there’s no convenient way for me to take classes at night or online so I can still work full-time.  It sucks that we both feel ready to have babies before I’m out of school.  It sucks that we have no way of knowing how easy or hard it will be to get pregnant.  It sucks that we watch other parents doing what we want to do every single day.

Don’t get me wrong, parent-friends.  We love your kids.  We LOVE your kids.  We talk about your kids on a daily basis.  We look at pictures of your kids on Facebook and laugh about them and talk about how cute they are.  We take joy in your kids’ accomplishments.  We love hanging out with your kids.  And when your kids hug us, it melts our sad hearts that just want kids of our own. 

But, underneath all of that joy and love for your kids, we hurt.  Because we wish we could be telling our friends stories about our kids, and not your kids.  We wish it was our kids reaching for us when they get hurt.  We wish we could participate in your conversations about your kids with stories about our kids.  We wish we could talk about how tired we are without feeling guilty because, as parents, you’re obviously much more tired than we are.

We know that in the grand scheme of our marriage (which should last a while…), the 4+ years without kids shouldn’t feel that significant.  We know that when we have sulky, moody teenagers, we’ll probably reminisce about these days.  We know that we should be savoring every good night of sleep we get, instead of dreaming for sleepless nights with a baby.

And we know that we have to get through the messy, to get to the beautiful.  But some days (like today), it’s really hard to be patient.

So, for now, we'll keep living vicariously through your highs and lows of parenting, and enjoy being the fun aunt and uncle who still get to sleep all night.

8 comments:

  1. I'm a huge sap, and for some reason this almost made me cry, but I'm at work...so I held back. You guys will be super duper parents when your life is ready :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and honest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a question and I don't want it to come off as judgmental or anything, I really am just wondering what is going to be different when your done with school? Wont you be starting your career, that doesn't sound like a good time to have a baby either. I believe each person has a right to their own believes and lifestyle so please understand I am not trying to be rude here. but I just think that there is no "right" time to have a baby. I have 3 boys (ages 10,7,2) and I am working on my Masters and my husband works 2 jobs. We make it work and you could too. I just worry that people who are waiting for the "right" time to have a baby are going to regret it later in life. Again please understand I am not judging, you have every right to live your life the way you want. I suppose I just have a different mind set and I was hoping you could help me to understand yours. Either way good luck in all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for your kind and nonjudgmental way of posing your question! I truly appreciate your willingness to offer insight from your life into our situation. I forgot that by opening this blog up to a wider audience than simply my family and friends, I was also opening myself up to the opinions and questions of those with differing opinions, and I’m so thankful that you reminded me in a very unobtrusive way!

    While I’m choosing to not go into the details of our life now (more than I have in this blog!) or what it will look like in 2 years, I would like to stress that I 100% agree with you that there is no right time to start a family. I know that if my husband and I became millionaires overnight, if I could snap my fingers and have my degree, and if everything in our life that is up in the air was suddenly more stable, we would still panic at a positive pregnancy test. It’s a scary thing, and I certainly don’t want to downplay that. However, I do think there are better and worse times to start a family in one’s life. If we got pregnant today, I am confident that we could make it work (and would be thrilled at the opportunity after a lot of panic!). But, fortunately, I’m only 28, and I am very well-versed in appropriate and safe methods of family-planning (another subject for another day!), so I can choose to wait until my husband and I are in a more comfortable place (even if that choice is a painful one for us to make). If I were older, if my husband and I didn’t agree on the timeline for our family, if my desire to be a mother outweighed my passion for my (future) career, then our story would look different. And, our story will most likely look different over the next two years, as we have no clue what the future holds!

    I think in this challenge to post this vulnerable story, I learned that the things I think and feel and say and do are not always pretty. It’s selfish of me to choose things in my life over having a baby right now, and I fully admit to that. And I appreciate the forum to write about those feelings and I also appreciate them being received without judgment, even if we don’t agree. Thank you so much for being open to learning more about my decisions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you understood I was not trying to be rude. I suppose if I had had a clearer out look on life when I was your age I may of done the same thing. I just recently (in the past 5 years) figured out what my career dreams and goals are, and at that point I already had 2 kids. I suppose the different mind set here is I didn't know what I wanted for me in my 20's so I did "protect" my self as strongly against getting pregnant. Where as now I (at 33) I have 3 kids and am working on my Masters in Counseling and know what I want for me. I just couldn't image doing it without my kids. But your right, it would have been easier (in a way) and I would have been able to concentrate more on me if I had figured all this out before having kids. To be completely honest, there is a part of me that is jealous of you. I never really had me time in my life because I didn't know what I wanted (other than I wanted to have kids). I wouldn't change my past for anything, and my children really are a big part of me finding who I am and what I want, so without them who knows where I would be.
      Good luck in your life, and thank you for sharing your messy, beautiful story!

      Delete
  5. My husband and I waited until it was 'right' - before 'right', I had a 52 mile commute to work! I was 30 and 31 when I had my girls. They're in college now, I'm only 51.......I say do what is right for you! Waiting until you are logistically and financially more prepared is wise! It can't happen for everyone, but if it can for you; and you want to do that, more power to you! I know you'll be great parents when the time comes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed an appreciated reading your perspective, your story and your courage in sharing it, thank you! The thoughts, feelings and everything of pregnancy, motherhood and family are so complicated (I live it everyday in my practice with clients and myself in my life and writing), I love that you are writing about this side of things here. Thank you! Justine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Courtney! My name is Cameron Von St. James and I had a quick question for you & was wondering if you could please email me when you have a free moment. Thanks! I really hope to hear from you soon and appreciate you taking the time. ☺ cvonstjames AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete