Recycling Myself

Welcome to the most exciting time in my life. So far.

Friday, August 30, 2013

Spotlight: Paula (and some others)!

Spotlight: Paula (and some others)!

For this post, I've asked my mother-in-law to write a little about her sister, Paula.  Paula is a rock star.  She has been fighting breast cancer like a champ.  Her fight isn't finished yet, but she is not lacking in any motivation or strength in this battle.  I am so proud of my aunt-in-law.  Paula is also awesome because she's done the 3 Day event!  Paula is definitely someone I think about while walking and that gets me through those challenging miles.

But, there's a twist to this post.  Janet said she had a hard time writing about her sister without also talking about her brother, James.  And, since we've got 2 siblings, why not talk about the third one, Annette, as well!  I will let Janet take it from here:

I’d like you to meet my siblings.  James shouldered the burden of being the first born.  As if that wasn’t difficult enough,he had 3 younger sisters.  In a house with 1 bathroom.  James was sweet and fun-loving.  He had a smile that wouldn’t quit and couldn’t be resisted and a big, contagious laugh.   James had a big heart & no end of friends.  Throughout school, he helped his friends in whatever way they needed, even if it got him in trouble at school or grounded at home.  All of this made him pretty popular.  In his life he made some mistakes and misjudgments along the way.  And when things weren’t so peachy for him, we wouldn’t see him for long stretches.  But when we were together he was upbeat and could make us feel like everything was going to be alright.  James gave us his lightheartedness and his smart, beautiful daughters:  Shelley and Amy (YEA! 2 more Henry Girls!)

James with his girls, Shelley and Amy

Paula is the 2nd born. Then I came along. Annette is the baby.   I can’t talk about one of my sisters without talking about them both.
Little Paula

Little Annette
 We were The Henry Girls.  Yeah, we’d fuss sometimes. Usually arguing which of us was Daddy’s favorite daughter (me).  We’d be irritated with one another occasionally. But we always had each other’s back and we still do.  My sisters are super intelligent and cleverly funny and two of the strongest, bravest people I know.

Paula, James, Annette, and Janet

In 2006, our brother James was diagnosed with advanced metastatic prostate cancer. Prostate cancer and breast cancer are related.   We were all so devastated.  And for 20 months my sisters and my parents spent as much time with him as we could and did what we could for him and his wife as he went through various experimental chemo treatments. I would stay with him for a week every month.  Paula and Annette live in the area and were on-call 24/7.   James called us his  “Angels” (remember Charlie’s Angels?).  We soon claimed to have the Power of Three.  James could usually keep us laughing, We all recalled stories and corrected each other’s memories. In 2007, James died.  And for a while my sisters and I thought we might never recover from losing him.  Together we did.

Courtney, Annette, and Paula at the 3 Day, 2011

Because our family has a long and extensive medical history of breast cancer, my sisters raised the funds and, with Courtney, walked  the Dallas 3 Day Walk for the Cure in 2011.

Janet, Annette, and Paula

In 2012, Paula was diagnosed with breast cancer.  Again, we were all devastated.  But Paula has mustered all the strength and hope and courage she could and has inspired us all. Again, we’ve called on The Power of Three. Annette lives in the same area and for another time has stepped up to the plate as be an on-site support for Paula and her husband. Paula has undergone surgeries, whatever treatments they prescribe ,and yet remained positive and hopeful.  She is definitely benefitting from breast cancer research; research funded by Komen’s 3 Day and other events.

Paula, Annette, and Janet
My siblings have taught me to not give up.  My siblings have taught me that laughter is the best medicine.  My siblings have taught me that when we all join our energies there is hope.

My daughter-in-law, Courtney is walking for my sisters.  Courtney is walking for you. Please give generously.

Not sure how much to donate?  Here are some numbers that are important to Janet's siblings' lives:

$48 donation - In honor of the year James was born!

$59 donation - In honor of the (not enough) years the Henrys were blessed with James

$219 donation - In honor of Paula's birthday on 2/19!

$54 donation - In honor of the year Paula graced the world with her presence!

$63 donation - In honor of the year Annette graced the world with her presence!

$120 donation - In honor of the miles walked  by Annette and Paula!

No comments:

Post a Comment