Recycling Myself

Welcome to the most exciting time in my life. So far.

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Spotlight Series: Kristen!

Kristen is, yet another roommate from college.  And, like Emily, when I met Kristen I was pretty certain we couldn't be friends.  She's a jock.  And I'm the exact opposite of a jock.  Sure, I can walk 60 miles, but that doesn't take any coordination (Well, maybe getting up the curb on day 3...)


Kristen being tough on Dutchman Day

So, I'm guilty of judging Kristen before knowing her.  And again, thank God I was wrong.
Kristen and me at my "punk rock" 21st birthday

Kristen and I were both elementary education majors (I started out that way, and switched to Psych during my sophomore year).  So we had a bunch of classes together and had a lot of fun.  I could tell pretty early on that Kristen was going to be an awesome teacher, and I was meant for other things.  She put so much work and effort and time and energy and creativity into her projects.  Kristen is exactly what you want out of an elementary school teacher: She's crafty, creative, bright, smiley, energetic...  It's been an honor getting to watch her start from the very beginning of college to see the amazing teacher she is today.  She impresses me all the time!
Me and Kristen at Emily's wedding

And yes, she is a jock.  She played soccer all 4 years of college and about a year of basketball if I'm remembering correctly (Not to mention many sports in high school).  Kristen was my gym mentor through college.  We'd go together, do our cardio stuff, lift (she taught me how to lift!) and go home and do her 8-min ab tape.  I've never been in better shape than when Kristen was my gym buddy.  And to this day, I'm still confident that I could go into a gym and at least look like I know what I'm doing because of everything she taught me.
Me, Kristen, and Erika at Emily's wedding reception

Kristen is tough and strong, both physically and emotionally.  But she's also really sensitive and sweet and a great listener and friend.  We've been with each other through tough times a lot over the years, and I know we will continue to be as we get older.  I will always miss sharing a home with her, mostly because she's one of those awesome people who will sing at the top of her lungs, regardless of who's around or who's listening.  Seriously, I never could've guessed how much I'd miss hearing her singing through the walls, but I do!  I wish I could be more fearless and brave like Kristen.
The 4 of us visiting LVC's campus after graduation
I am so glad that Kristen is in my life, and I think about her when I walk 60 miles every year, because I believe that she deserves a lifetime and we deserve a lifetime with her.  I can't handle the thought of breast cancer taking her or any of my friends away from me, so I walk because I believe in a world without breast cancer.  If you know Kristen, or someone as awesome as her, please consider making a donation in honor of them today!

Not sure how much to donate?  Here are some numbers that are important to Kristen's life:

$23 donation - In honor of her birthday on October 23rd!

$310 donation - In honor of the room she lived in across the hall from me freshman year!

$100 donation - In honor of the hundreds of times she dragged my butt to the gym, and the hundreds of times I was thankful she did :-)

$85 donation - In honor of the year she was born!

$60 donation - In honor of the miles I walk to keep her in my life!

$28 donation - In honor of the year she became a full-fledged teacher (2008)!

No comments:

Post a Comment